Interested in research on community gardens and greening? Here is ACGA’s collection of links to studies and reports about how community garden programs benefit their communities, are being implemented, and affect their surroundings!
- Benefits of Adult Education in Community Gardens As Perceived by Community Garden Educators: Sara Eve Spence, University of Nebraska-Lincoln (PDF Format).
- Community Development through Gardening: State and Local Policies Transforming Urban Open Space: By Jane E. Schukoske. A PDF file that can be downloaded from NYU website.
- Comprehensive Plans, Zoning Regulations, Open Space Policies and Goals Concerning Community Gardens and Open Green Space from the Cities of Seattle, Berkeley, Boston, and Chicago: Information compiled by ACGA Member Lenny Librizzi for the GreenThumb Grow Together Workshop “Lessons From Community Gardening Programs In Other Cities” given March 20, 1999.
- Green Streets, Not Mean Streets: by Frances E. Kuo and William C. Sullivan. In an inner city neighborhood, the greener the residence the lower the crime rates. This is one of several studies on the relationships between people and plants in urban setting. Others include”Girls and Greenery”, “Kids and Concentration”, “Neighbors and nature”, “Plants and Poverty” and Vegetation and Violence”. All are available from this same link.
- Involving Children In Children’s Gardens Farm In The City St. Paul, Minnesota: by ACGA Board member Anna Wasescha and Karla Ness
- National Community Garden Survey 1996: by Suzanne Monroe-Santos
- A Survey of Community Gardens in Upstate New York: Implications for Health Promotion and Community Development: by Donna Armstrong Ph.D.First Published in the journal Health and Place, 2000, 6(4): 319-327.
- The Whitmire Study: Gateway Greening.
- Community Greening Review:
- Greening Review 2009: The Case for a Community Greening Research Agenda (PDF)
- Greening Review 2003: Urban Green Infrastructure (PDF)
- Greening Review 2002: Thinking About Soil and Water (PDF)
- Greening Review 2000: Making Policy – Steps Beyond the Physical Garden [PDF]
- Greening Review 1999: Greening in the Schoolyard [PDF]
Have you found other useful web sites that you would like to see added to this list? Send an email and the link to email@example.com.