Our raised-bed garden is located in the heart of a diverse, low-income neighborhood in Lincoln, Nebraska. Children in kindergarten through 5th grade help maintain the garden throughout the season by attending to the compost, cleaning, planting, maintaining, harvesting, and their favorite- eating the wonderful produce. Through our youth program, children come together through farming and food and discover their interdependence with each other as well as with those who receive their produce.
The youth garden cultivates personal growth, self responsibility and community awareness in youth through organic gardening, experiential education programs and community service.
Our programs incorporate the following principles:
1) Encourage academic learning through hands on activities.
2) Develop practical, vocational and life skills.
3) Provide opportunities to serve and interact in our community.
4) Cultivate a safe and nourishing place for youth to interact.
5) Promote ecological awareness and responsibility.